There are moments in our business where we have to fight our own demons and overcome stumbling blocks that keep us from moving forward, especially the thoughts in our heads which got me thinking about movies and how they put movies together.
What do movie-making and your business have in common? They are both supposed to make magic. As a business owner you should see yourself as the star of the show with the power to direct every scene. What you envision – and how you see yourself in that vision – are the keys to how people see you and experience your business. How you initially decide to play your role will determine the influence of your business.
In running my own business, I found it difficult to see myself as the star. As business owners we tend to panic or focus on the things we don’t have – like not having enough business to cover bills, not having time to spend with family, etc. For me, my biggest stumbling block was my thoughts in my head: “I’m not good enough” or “who would believe me” or “who am I” and “people won’t pay that much for what I do” and even “nobody will show up”. These thoughts impacted on everything around me. I would sabotage great opportunities because I couldn’t see what was before my very eyes and I would undersell my services. The results being that I did not quite achieve everything I had set out to do.
In all my years of research on the topic of personal development, of over coming self-limiting beliefs and getting the life you want, one vital rule remains constant, “What you focus on becomes your reality”.
Quite frankly, I really struggled to visualize things about my life. In fact I really struggled to feel any positive emotions and this is where the secret lies: in emotion. Emotion gives energy to thoughts which in turn becomes your reality and when you need to overcome a self-limiting belief you have to – in a way – “fake it until you make it”. Live as though it has already happened. You have to play the star.
While watching Charlize Theron playing the role of the evil witch in Snow White and the Huntsman got me thinking about what she needed to do to make her character believable to everyone who was watching the movie.
- To look like an evil witch
- To behave like an evil witch would behave
- To express, live and feel the emotions of an evil witch
- To think like an evil witch and do the things an evil witch would do.
The producers, directors, script writers and the creative team would think of
- The best locations to use.
- The décor that she would need,
- The clothes that she would wear,
- The tools that she would need in order to fulfill her role as being the evil witch
- and then communicating it all the audience in a way that is interesting, entertaining and engaging.
It got me thinking…
In the same way movie makers prepare and put movies together is the same way we should think about our own self limiting beliefs about ourselves and our businesses.
As the movie makers do, we should write the script for our businesses and our personal lives:
- What is the title of your movie?
- What is the theme of your movie?
- What colours are you going to use?
- What locations would you use, where are these locations?
- What props will you need for your movie?
- What are the various roles in the movie?
- Who are the actors in your movie?
You are the star actor of your movie:
- What will you wear?
- How will you behave?
- How will you engage with your audience?
- How do you want your audience to see you?
- How will you entertain them so that they want more?
- How will you entertain them so that they feel they got value and enjoyed the experience?
- What happens at the end of your movie? How will you promote your movie?
- How much will you charge for each movie that you produce?
- How much do the actors need to be paid, and what is the main star of the movie going to earn?
If you apply this sense of emotional creativity and excitement to the role you play in business, just imagine what magic you can make!
What helps you to visualize the things you want in your life? Do you have any tips to share?